Reviewed: GoPro HERO5 Session ($199 Link)




Here is Limited-time deal link

GoPro HERO5 Session

That will get you to Amazon Site.....

This little thing packs a massive punch.

Pros:
 
- Video Quality (Amazing!... and a significant improvement over the Hero Session)
 
- Electronic Image Stabilization (excellent at removing the small jitters you usually get holding action-cams)
 
- Good Audio (a slight improvement over the good Hero Session audio)
 
- Dead-Simple (simple single-button operation, and intuitive second-button operations for changing basic settings without the app)
 
- Lots of fine-tuning options (in-app)
 
- Wicked-Small (I keep mine floating around in my pocket on adventures)
 
- Waterproof (down to ~33', diving housing required for deeper)
 
- Rugged (with a screw-on lens cover that can be replaced in the event that you exceed the limits of it's ruggedness)
 
- Faster "record" delay (only ~2.5 second delay between "OFF" and "Recording" when using One-Button filming, which is nearly 2X as fast as the Hero Session)
 
- Linear FOV Option (This new FOV option does a great job of removing the fisheye that is required for wide FOV shots. Very similar to Medium FOV, but without any noticeable distortion)
 
- Updates (GoPro provides great firmware updates for all of their cameras. This little guy got an update almost immediately after launch, so be sure to check the official site for instructions on how to update your cameras firmware)
- New Capture App (I found it to be a significant improvement over the last version. 

Much easier for me to connect to, and it remembered my cam each time I opened the app)
 

- Voice Control (I was pleasantly surprised to find that it works reliably, and I can see a lot of use-cases for what, at first, seems like a gimmicky feature)

Neutrals/Cons:

- Audio Volume: I still need to bump-up the volume of the audio in my editing software.

- "Okay" Low Light Performance: If you fine-tune the settings in-app, you can get some decent low-light performance out of it, but it may take you a while to figure that out.

 A significant improvement in low-light vs the Hero Session, but nothing to be bragging about.

I use this camera to film some of my casual adventures.

I had started off filming with an awesome camcorder, and took a hit to my video quality when I decided to switch to the Hero Session.

 I thought the convenience of the Hero Session made up for the hit to video quality. 

But now w/ the Hero5 Session I get the best of both worlds: Extreme convenience with great video quality.

My Favorite Camera Settings:

- 1080 Resolution *all of my content ultimately lives on YouTube, and I feel like 1080p at a decent bit-rate is plenty of quality for me.
- Linear FOV
- 30 FPS
- EIS (Electronic Image Stabilization) ON
- ProTune ON (advanced in-app setting) *Turning this on really bumps the bit-rate (quality) of your video, obviously at the expense of larger file sizes.
- Flat Color Profile (app) *GoPro Color Profile if I don't feel like adjusting in post.
- 400 ISO (app) *because I prefer as little noise as possible, and am happy to have darker low-light performance instead of noisy low-light performance.
- No LED *much less intimidating for subjects this way.
- No BEEPS *much stealthier this way.

My Favorite Post-Processing Edits:

- Increase Audio to 200% (double)
- If filming in Flat Color Profile:
slight increase: Contrast and Saturation
slightly decrease: Gamma and Brightness

My Favorite Accessory:

a mini clamshell hard-case to transport the cam: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015CQR2WK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but when I reach a destination, the cam spends the rest of its time naked and in my pocket.

Comments