Certified 14k White Gold Diamond Vs Houston Diamond District 3



Here is Limited-time deal link


Certified 14k White Gold Diamond with Screw Back and Post Stud Earrings (1/2cttw, J-K Color, I1-I2 Clarity)




 

That will get you to Amazon Site.....


I wanted to get my wife a decent set of studs.

 I've purchased some very high quality stones in the past, but for these i wanted to find the middle road where quality and value met. 

That way it wouldn't be the end of the world if she lost a set.

I couldn't decided between the amazon 3/4cttw 4-prong and the Houston Diamond District 3/4cttw 3-prongs... So i bought both.
The both advertise the identical specs.
color: H-K
carat: 3/4
clarity: I1 on the houstons, I1-i2 on the amazons
Cut: "ideal" on the houstons, "good" on the amazons
Certification: In-house from Houston, AGS for the amazons

My observations.

Basically, the pictures show much of the detail...so check em out!

-The amazon ones are much more more yellow. Maybe K-L
-The Houston ones seem closer to G IMO
-The Cut is hard to tell. In the light, neither one has a spectacular "fire" to it, compared to my wife wedding band or her anniversary 5-stone trellis from Whiteflash
-Carat. All i could do here was simply measured the diameter. Since both claimed good or ideal cuts, they should have a good depth ratio. 

The Houston ones measured 4.44 to 4.45mm and the Amazons were much larger at 4.58 to 4.65mm. Thats actually a significant difference. 

If you cut those measurements with a lose diamond website, 4.44 is consistent with a .29ct-.34ct diamond and a 4.65 is consistent with a .38ct-.41ct diamond
-Fit. The Houston studs are much more flush with the ear lobe, while the amazon ones stick out A LOT. My wife definitely preferred the fit of the houston ones.

-Clarity. Houston claimed I1 but thats a stretch, they Iffy on "eye clean" and look pretty dirty under camera zoom. amazon claimed I1-I2 and they are on the included side.

-certification. Houston's are "in house" certified and they send a cheesy printed piece of paper thats good for starting a fire. 

Amazon's is NOT any better IMO, its a card from AGS stating a range of specs that is NOT specific you your stones. Its a generic card, everyone get the same card. When I've bough other stones in the past, the certification was for the exact stone you bought.

so who won? I am going to give a slight edge to the Houston studs.

 The color, and fit were far superior. 

but they are losing big points as far as size making them just barely better then the amazon ones.

 I will be contacting Houston diamonds about that issue and may send them back.

the amazon ones are being returned for sure.

Comments